Monday, September 29, 2008

WEBMU Moistness: Part 1

WEBME = Whiney Expat Bloggers Meetup

I cannot take credit for the name - but it is accurate.

After living in Germany for just over 1 year, it's hard not to feel a bit well, I guess a bit like you just don't fit in anywhere.

There are so many things that are awesome about living here ... and just as many that we all like to complain about.

But this posting isn't about "those" differences. It's about the meetup this past weekend ... so here goes ...

Friday late afternoon, we headed out after Bubba Joe's nap and dropping off Mischka & Maggie at Oma & Opa's. Typical grandparents they are, they spoil the crap out of 'em!

The drive went pretty smoothly and we found the hotel rather easily. At one point, as we were driving into Bremen there was a sign that showed downtown to the left. We took a right. Uh-oh I thought! But Alex reminded me that it didn't mean anything - cities are designed in circles - going right doesn't mean you're driving away from downtown, it just means you're coming in from a different direction!

Our hotel was very clean, nice and exactly what we wanted (thanks SO much to Danielle for getting us a reservation, even if we did end up taking your apartment and you got our room).

We spoke with J on the phone to catchup with the others that arrived on Friday. Not only did J start this whole WEBMU, not only does he simply ROCK, he left the restaurant to meet us!!! J-man - you really are an awesome guy! I'm so thankful to have met you!!!!!

Dinner - well, dinner was awesome!

Now, ya'll might remember that I'm generally NOT impressed with German cuisine. That's because it is generally not impressive. But both Adam and Cliff recommended the lamb cutlets and wow! They were fantastic!

And while we thought we had brought toys to entertain Bubba Joe, we didn't realize they'd also be used by both Adam and Ian! Glad we could share the joy.

We didn't get back to our hotel until almost midnight - where there was a BIG black MB van parked in front of the hotel. I said to BJD that it was probably our new friends (Danielle and G) in from Berlin. But we didn't ask. Soon enough though, we heard kids moving in across the hall and next morning, we learned it was in fact our new friends.

Breakfast at the hotel (www.hotelresidence.com) was really good. We overtook a corner of the dining room and, like the rest of the weekend, tended to scare away others from sitting near us. Having 4 children, 3 of whom are 2-years old, I guess I'd want some distance too if I were them! But not our fellow expaters - nope.

As soon as I can figure out how to add links to their respective blogs I will ... but until then I'll be working on cleaning up a few pics to share.

5 comments:

Diane Mandy said...

It was lovely meeting you and your family this weekend!

christina said...

So nice to meet all of you! I really like the feeling of belonging at these meet-ups.

C N Heidelberg said...

I agree, my food there was great too! It was so nice to meet you! (I can't remember if I already told you this on another post or anything!)

J said...

I had to come get you. I couldn't have you guys forcing Builder Bob on Bremen..lol.

The Meet-Up is a special thing to me and I'm glad you felt it too. It was great to meet all three of you and I really enjoyed our chats.

~Denise~ said...

Glad to hear you had a nice weekend.

Followers

Who's been here