Sunday, July 20, 2008

Duelmener Sommer: Hoene Duo


I didn't expect much.

I mean, we live in a very small town that is not exactly wealthy.

But we went, with the intention of having a "date night". And also with the hopes that by getting out more often, we can spur off the loneliness that creeps up on me.

Boy was I shocked!

We went into Queens, the bar/restaurant (http://www.queens-duelmen.de). We've been there before and had decent food at decent prices. I would say it's the Duelmen equivalent of Stonehouse Grill in Westlake.

BJD got his usual (jack & coke), I ordered mineral water and a small salad. Now, service in Germany leaves much to be desired. But the fact that the "service tip" is included in the price, servers actually make a normal wage, and giving a tip means just rounding up to the nearest Euro makes it okay.

Two guys come out with guitars. They're not really much to look at but they start warming up.

I couldn't believe my ears.

And this was just the warm up!

They started out with some Miles Davis and ended their first set with one of their own compositions. And while they definitely can play Miles, their composition ROCKED. It was a chord progression that went downward and the main focus was this "base" chord. They fun to watching them play this piece was listening to *how* they got to their "base" chord. It was musically stimulating. And that was such a contrast to how this piece was - it felt like I was swimming through the ocean, it was such a watery melody ... I just can't figure out the right way to explain it.

All I can say is wow.

I am so very impressed.

I can't wait to get to see them again.

We left after their first set because, well, it was 10:00 and Bubba Joe was at Oma & Opa's. It was bedtime.

No comments:

Followers

Who's been here