Sunday, October 12, 2008

Ouch! (warning, may be TMI)

TMI = too much information

So far, my pregnancy has been progessing well, as expected.

That is, up until yesterday.

(and here's where the TMI will come into play ...)

I went to the bathroom and was horrified when things just did NOT move! I mean, I spent a good 1/2 hour sitting there, chatting it up with my mom, just figuring things were slow. Nope.

They were not slow, they were stopped.

So I just sat and relaxed, trying to let things come. I drank water, ate prunes, ate a bit of yogurt with flax seeds ... all things that have worked in the past. I then drank some non-clear apple juice.

Finally I begged BJD to go to the pharmacy and get me something, anything, to make things move.

Then Bubba Joe woke up.

Ugh.

Things did eventually, well, come out ... somewhat. But my butt is sore and I can tell I've still got a ways to go.

I'm thinking it might be my new prenatals. Hey! Does anyone know what it means ... wait, let me back up ... the prenatals list stuff in either mg or what looks like the greek mu symbol and g for grams. The iron is in this greek letter and g format. What is that??? How does that convert to mg? (I'm thinking it's the new prenatal that has me all, um, yeah, you get it.)

4 comments:

G in Berlin said...

Yup, it's the iron. In the US, they would recommend an otc stool softener. I'm not certain what thay would be called here. But n*o*t a laxative! You can also go for adding loads of fibre and drinking loads of water, but the softener is easy and fine. Don't worry- this won't be a problem later...

C N Heidelberg said...

I was going to say the same thing - iron! Iron is terrible to take - it either causes this or in some people the opposite.
The mu-g symbol is micrograms. 1 microgram = 0.001 milligrams (mg)

Mrs. Spit said...

I was all set to tell you what the symbols stood for.

Water. Walking to get the system moving. Prune juice. Adding wheat germ or even better, bran germ to everything. Yoghurt, cereal, your sandwiches, you name it. .. .

Can you find some metamucil?

And for any sakes, don't strain. Please. Hemmroids are living hell . . .

icedteaforme said...

Yep, chiming in with all it's the iron, I suffered from it during pregnancy, peri recommended psyllium tablets, like metamucil but in tablet form, and drink tons of water, you can also avoid, until the constipation lessens up, avoid bananas, cheese, pumpkin and rice......but if i remember correctly high fiber fruits and vegis can help, pears, apricots, peaches, sweet potatoes, cabbage and berries......found this online kind of interesting!

"The most common explanation for increased constipation during pregnancy is that the growing uterus puts pressure on the intestines, slowing waste's progression through the colon.

Some researchers have suggested that hormonal fluctuations are responsible for constipation during pregnancy. The use of iron supplements during pregnancy can also lead to constipation."

Followers

Who's been here